The Fly Fishing Tidbit Search Engine

Thursday, April 08, 2010

Ready…….Set…….Swing


Let the 10 day countdown begin! I always have a bet with the old man as to when the first blowout hatch will be, and this year my money is on the 17th. I have started to see a lot of closed caddis cases, and our water temps are starting to make the rise mid day. If we can get 5 straight days of near 70 degree weather, the hatch will be on. Keep your eyes on the blog, as I will countdown as I start to see sporadic hatches. I can’t stress enough, when the hatch starts, to focus on the pupae stage for the first few days. It will take a few intense hatches for the fish to recognize the adult stage. But, you better believe they are tearing up the pupa (emerger) during these early hatches. Some of the greatest number days I have ever had on this river have been before the adult recognition, so please focus on the pupa, and don’t be afraid to be a swinger…….
The picture above shows the presentation sequence of the larval emergence (pupal stage).

No comments: