The Fly Fishing Tidbit Search Engine

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Ptero-Knarly


Different renditions of the prince keep my head spinning, yet they always seem to produce. With the vast amount of stoneflies we have started to recognize in the Arkansas, the more and more obsessed with them I get. The most intriguing of all of the Stones is the Giant Stones or Pteronarcyidae.......
These are extremely large froms of the general Stone, measuring 15-50 mm excluding tails. The gills are very evident, and by god they will pinch the ever living heck out of ya with their jaws. Pure and simple they remind me of the Aliens from the Predators movies. They look like they were sent to earth with medieval style battle armor to search and destroy. The second clear diagnosis I draw is that our happy Brown Trout love them some cheeseburgers. I tie this 2 together, and bring myself to fish these babys more and more. And, man have they been successful!
Above is my latest creation, a super knarly rendition of a prince, nymph with all kinds of other goodies. Let me tell you, this will kick A-S-S!

Ptero-knarly (Tear-O-Knarly)

Hook: #6 Tiemco 2457
Bead: MFC Lucent (c0ffee) 4.7 mm
Thorax: Hareline Brown Ice Dub mixed with Peacock
Wing: White Goose Biots
Wingcase: Flashabou Wingin Fiber
Body: Brown Lucent Chenille/ UTC Brown Tubing
Tail: Brown Goose Biots

No comments: